I find this stuff so interesting, shame I could never grasp the “hows” and “why’s” of it in physics…pictures like this really do put things in perspective.
(Click image to Download)
- Scientists at the National Institute for Space Research in Brazil say an undiscovered type of matter could be found in neutron stars
- Here matter is so dense that it could be ‘squashed’ into strange matter
- This would create an entire ‘strange star’ – unlike anything we have seen
- However, the exact properties of strange matter are unknown
- If it exists, though, it could help scientists discover ripples in space-time known as gravitational waves
Neutron stars are among the densest objects in the universe – just a spoonful of matter from one of them would weigh more than the moon.
But inside these remarkable stellar objects, which are no bigger than a city on Earth, a remarkable process might be taking place.
Scientists have revealed their matter might become so squashed that it turns into ‘strange matter’ – and observing so-called strange stars could unlock some of…
View original post 127 more words