I’ve been away for a while and also ill for a bit (my body sort of gave up after the supportive stress of assessment gave way) but I had some time and I’ve finished off my husky painting, and I’m pretty proud of it!
I’m pretty happy with how the colours turned out, and the new method I used of layering on top of a monochrome background worked well for me. But there’s some things I don’t like.
The classic problem when it comes to painting anything with eyes…is the eyes.
Yep I’m really not too pleased with them but it’s got to the point where I was spending an inordinate amount of time on them compared to the rest of the painting, and overworking them, so I did my best. I think what I really struggle with is depicting features effectively but with little detail. If there was one dog in the image, and the paper was larger it would be easier, but the fact I’m working with details with such a small margin for error in such an equally tiny section, I really found it pretty tricky.
Another challenge for me was doing a painting freehand without drawing it first, and while it initially looked right in the first sketch, the more detail I layered on the less it began to correspond with the original photograph.
But all in all I’m happy with it, and owing to my unfaltering love for huskies, I doubt this is the last piece of work including them. For sure.